After the Bergen Biennial Conference in September 2009, and since the inception of Bergen Assembly, an international Advisory Board consisting of seven distinguished artists, scholars, and curators have been discussing the format of perennials in general and the Bergen Assembly in particular.
Their discussions have influenced the curatorial choices made by the different teams invited to be at the helm of the first two editions of Bergen Assembly, and quietly they have contributed to the art scene in Bergen.
For seven years this group of seven has been giving input and impulses, and it is time to meet and discuss with them. What reflections and impulses on the “demanding environment”, created by the intersection between the “triennial” as an institutional frame and a diverse and complex local art scene, can the advisors give us?
In this panel discussion the Advisory Board members Ute Meta Bauer, Ingar Dragset, Bruce W. Ferguson, Maria Hlavajova, and Ranjit Hoskote will each present their reflections and perspectives. They will be joined by Bergen Assembly ́s director Haakon Thuestad in a discussion moderated by Anne Szefer Karlsen.
This event is a collaboration between Bergen Assembly and Curatorial Practice, Faculty of Fine Art, Music and Design, University of Bergen.
Members of the Bergen Assembly Advisory Board:
• Ute Meta Bauer, professor of visual arts at MIT and director of Centre of Contemporary Art, Singapore
• Ina Blom, professor of art history at UiO, curator and writer
• Ingar Dragset, artist and curator, part of the duo Elmgreen & Dragset
• Bruce W. Ferguson, president of OTIS College of Art and Design, Los Angeles
• Maria Hlavajova, artistic director of BAK – Basis voor actuele kunst, Utrecht
• Ranjit Hoskote art critic, curator, poet and cultural theorist
• Solveig Øvstebø, former director of Bergen Kunsthall, director of the Renaissance Society in Chicago